The AANA Journal is the official scholarly journal of the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists.
Current Print & Online JournalHow does high-fidelity mannequin simulation hold up against virtual simulation for recognition of critical events by SRNAs? What is the role of ultrasonography in guiding an anesthetic plan for a patient with Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease? The April 2019 AANA Journal answers these and other questions. Also, be sure to see our online content, listed below.
About the AANA Journal
The AANA Journal is the official scholarly journal of the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists. Published bimonthly, the AANA Journal delivers practical clinical information that fosters the understanding of the science of anesthesia delivery and investigates ideas, issues, and innovations that advance the practice of nurse anesthesia.
AANA Journal Resources
- AANA Journal Masthead
- Information for Authors - What you need to know to properly format your manuscript.
- AANA Journal - What is an author?
- Journal Course Requirements
AANA Journal complies with the Uniform Requirements for Manuscripts Submitted to Biomedical Journals developed by the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors, as well as all ethics, consent, and disclosure guidelines of the American Medical Association. In addition, all research published in AANA Journal requires institutional review board approval. Authors must disclose any conflict of interest, perceived or otherwise, at the point of submission. These relationships, commercial or otherwise, if they exist, will be disclosed in the published article.
Current Online Content
A Pediatric Airway "Rotator" Program" A Performance Improvement Initiative
Mary Scott-Herring, DNP, MS, CRNA; Aileen Mendez, MS, CRNA; Joanne Shay, MD, MBA; John McCloskey, MD; Rahul Koka, MD, MPH
Waking Up Safer? An Anesthesiologist’s Record,
Bruce E. Koch, MSN, CRNA
High-Flow Nasal Oxygen,
Rebecca Sullivan, DNAP, MHS, CRNA
Opioid-free Anesthesia: A Required Skill for Anesthesia Providers?,
Thomas Baribeault, MSN, CRNA
Pictorial and Video-based Explanation of Central Neuraxial Block in a Deaf-Mute Patient for Major Abdominal Surgery,
Wasimul Hoda, MD; Sidharth Suri; Rakesh Garg, MD
About Our Online Content
In an effort to increase the number of case studies and research papers published in the print issue of the AANA Journal, beginning with the February 2017 issue, Journal departments such as Research News, Education News, Legal Briefs, Imagining in Time, Guest Editorials, as well as letters, book reviews, and the annual index of articles, will be published solely online at www.aana.com. Additional articles also may be published only online as well. Read more. [PDF]
Call for Editorial Submissions
AANA Journal seeks high-quality submissions in the following areas:
- Perioperative care: inclusive of preoperative, intraoperative, and postoperative phases
- Basic sciences as they relate to anesthetic considerations: inclusive of physiology, pharmacology, chemistry, and physics
- Technological issues related to anesthetic considerations: engineering, mechanical, monitoring
- Management of perioperative pain with particular attention to mechanisms and multimodal therapies
- State-of-the-art reviews
- Simulation in anesthetic training
- Discovery research that illuminates important questions involving anesthetic management
- Computing, electronic record keeping, and information access that enhances communication and patient care
- Anesthetic subspecialty domains inclusive of cardiovascular, obstetrical, neurosurgical, and pediatric
- Innovations in the anesthetic care of patients
- Critical care and resuscitation
- Regional anesthesia and ultrasound guided nerve blocks