Faculty and Students: Substance Abuse Resources
Nurse anesthesia students are at high risk for substance misuse and substance use disorder. They encounter multiple stressors related to the student environments, changes in role, and perceived loss of control.
The following links provide information and education related to prevention of the occupational risk of substance use disorder, for handling incidents that indicate impairment or drug diversion, and for getting help.
Education and awareness for chemical dependency prevention:
- Student Wellness Homepage
- Recognize and manage stress
- Research and Education (includes links to Wearing Masks and the AANA Learn Wellness Catalog)
- State Health and Wellness Resources
- SRNAs with Disabilities
- Wellness and Chemical Dependency Student Nurse Anesthetist Curriculum - learning modules
What to do when suspicion of impairment and/or drug diversion occurs?
- Signs and Behaviors of an Impaired Colleague
- Getting Help
- AANA Peer Assistance Advisors' Recommendations: