About the Foundation
Established in 1981, the AANA Foundation is a charitable organization devoted to anesthesia research, education and development. The Foundation serves as the philanthropic arm of the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists. The Foundation funds scholarships, doctoral fellowships, post-doctoral fellowships, research grants, and oral "State of the Science" poster sessions, as well coordinates general poster sessions and the doctoral mentorship program. Philanthropist of the Year, Advocate of the Year, Researcher of the Year and Humanitarian of the Year Awards are presented annually by the AANA Foundation.
Knowledge, integrity, excellence and stewardship.
The Foundation provides financial support to CRNAs and SRNAs through a variety of initiatives and events in addition to offering workshops attended by hundreds of individuals. Over the course of its history, the Foundation has awarded more than $4.1 million to more than 3,500 individuals as detailed below.
- 1,137 scholarships totaling more than $1,838,000 to support nurse anesthesia
- 189 fellowships totaling $1,316,000 to assist CRNA students pursuing their PhD and DNP degrees and post-doctoral work
- 192 research grants to CRNAs totaling more than $825,000
- 44 student research grants totaling more than $44,000
- 2,021 poster presentations at AANA Annual Congresses totaling $152,000
One of the goals of the AANA Foundation is to support new and seasoned investigators in nurse anesthesia through grants, fellowships and post doctoral fellowships. Programs are designed to develop researchers in nurse anesthesia. The AANA Foundation sets a broad range of research objectives that includes the following areas:
- Healthcare policy
- Science of anesthesia
- Education Practice/Clinical
- AANAF and AANA Joint Research Program Overview.
Health Policy Research
To learn more about the HPR agenda, development and methodology, and download the 24 questions by domain please visit the Health Services Research Agenda page. Review the top 6 ranked research topics.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Your Support is Needed
- High profile, critical research focused on:
- Best anesthesia practice
- Nurse anesthesia scope of practice
- Anesthesia quality
- Cost of effectiveness
- Malpractice closed claims
- Fellowships and Post-Doctoral Fellowships
- Student Scholarships
- General grants
- Oral poster presentations
- CRNA recognition